Dr. Lekha Kunju Pillai Laxman
TEXT BOOKS/BOOK CHAPTERS
- The Principles of Commercial Law by UTM Press, First Edition, 2011. Authors: Nor Sa’adah Abd Rahman, Lekha Laxman, Hakimah Muhammad Zin & Roshazlizawati Mohd Nor.
- Prinsip Undang-Undang Malaysia by PTS Publications & Distributors Sdn Bhd, Cetakan Pertama 2003, Cetakan Kedua 2005. Authors: Hapriza Ashari, Khairiah Soehod and Lekha Laxman.
- Book chapter entitled, Data Protection and Privacy Rights of Employees at workplace in Employee Rights at the work place: Some Selected Issues (ISBN 978-983-52-1077-8), edited by Hapriza Ashari, Khairiah Soehod, UTM Press, 2015.
Contributing Author of 2 Chapters : Industrialization and Its Impact on the Health and Safety of Workers, page 34 and Perhubungan Pusat Negeri dalam Federalisme Malaysia: Mekanisme, Proses dan Keberkesanan Kerjasama dan Penyelesaian Konflik in Final Report of Top Down IRPA Social Science Projects 1995, Universiti Sains Malaysia, 1996.
Contributing Author of “The Curriculum and Course Development Project: International Criminal Justice Systems, American Society of Criminology,1986 .”
- Scopus article entitled GMOs, Safety Concerns and International Trade: Developing Countries Perspective was co-authored with Prof Dr. Abdul Haseeb Ansari in a “peer reviewed interdisciplinary journal” by Emerald (indexed and abstracted in Scopus and West Law) in Journal of International Trade Law and Policy, vol. 10 no.3 (2011), pp. 281-307;
- Scopus article entitled The interface between TRIPS and CBD: efforts towards harmonisation was co-authored with Professor Dr. Abdul Haseeb Ansari in the Journal of International Trade Law and Policy, Vol. 11 Iss: 2 (2012) pp. 108 - 132;This paper has received the Outstanding Paper Award 2013 as a Highly Commended Paper by the Emerald Group Publishers
- Scopus article entitled A Review of the International Framework for Access and Benefit Sharing of Genetic Resources with Special Reference to the Nagoya Protocol was co-authored with Professor Dr. Abdul Haseeb Ansari in the Asia Pacific Journal of International Law, vol.16 2013, pp. 105-139.
- Article entitled The Islamic Approach to Conserving Biodiversity For Global Sustainability: An Exploration was co-authored with Professor Dr. Abdul Haseeb Ansari and Dr.Majdah Zawawi in Advances in Environmental Biology, vol. 8 no. 3, Special 2014, pp. 748-764.
- Jurnal Kemanusiaan, Bil 1 ISSN 1675-1930, Jun 2003, Publication of Fakulti Pengurusan & Pembangunan Sumber Manusia, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia. The Concept of Rights, Its Impact and Importance on Women in Contemporary Societies, pp 51-57. Available at <http://www.management.utm.my/jurnal-kemanusiaan/>
- Lekha Laxman, Hapriza bte Ashari, Khairiah Soehod et al., A Comparative Study On Current Insurance Law In ASEAN As A Basis For The Harmonization Of Insurance Law In ASEAN () Sponsored by ASEAN Insurance Training Institute and The Malaysian Insurance Institute & ASEAN InsuranceTraining and Research Institute (RM 71,000)
- Khairiah Soehod, Lekha Laxman, Law on safety and health in Malaysia Sponsored by RMC UTM (RM 8,500)
- Lekha Laxman, Low Hock Heng, A Comprehensive Study of Fraud in Third Party Injury Claims in Malaysia () Sponsored by General Insurance Society of Malaysia (PIAM) and National Insurance Claims Society (NICS) (RM 34,000)
- Lekha Laxman, Hishamuddin Md. Som, Low Hock Heng, Maisarah bte Mohamed Saat, A Study on Sexual harassment in Small and Medium Enterprises of Malaysia (2002) Sponsored by RMC (RM 19,968)
- Lekha Laxman, Low Hock Heng, Maisarah bte Mohamed Saat, An Assessment of the level of Ethical Perception Amongst Public University Students in Malaysia (2002) Sponsored by RMC, UTM (RM 19,970)
- Hishamuddin Md. Som, Rosman Md Yusoff, Ahmad Jusoh, Kamaruzzaman bin Abdul Rahim, Kassim Thukiman, Lekha Laxman, Low Hock Heng, Maisarah bte Mohamed Saat, Mohamed Fuad bin Ahmad, Ethical Awareness Amongst Engineering Students in Malaysian Public Universities () Sponsored by Kementerian Sains & Teknologi (RM 166,400)
Member of FRGS Research Project Modelling the Greening of Bio-Economy, Environment-Energy Intensity and Social Sustainability for Emerging Economies.
Member of Tier 2 Research, The Perception, Awareness and Behavior on Intellectual Property Rights of Malaysian SMEs.
Member of Tier 1 Research, Development of a Prototype Device for Monitoring Fetal Heart Rate to Reduce Still Births.
Member of Tier 1 Research, Development of Capacitive Stent for Monitoring In-Stent Arrtery Blockages.
Head research entitled Developing Web Based Employee Medical History Management System, grant for RM 20,000 sponsored by RUG, UTM from 1/9/2015 to 31/10/2016.
Head of RMC Research Project, Conservation of Biodiversity, A Comparative Study of Laws Related to Conservation of Biodiversity in relation to Agricultural Biotechnology with Special reference to Malaysia.
- 17th ANZAM Conference, Surfing the Waves: Management Challenges, Management Solutions, 2-5 December 2003 at Esplanade Hotel, Freemantle, Western Australia. Title of paper presented by Ms. Lekha Laxman and Coauthored with Mr. Low Hock Heng and Pn. Maisarah Saat: “The Ethical Perceptions of Malaysian Public University Students: A Factorial Analysis of Academic Performance and Ethical Perceptions”.
- 2 Day Research Findings Workshop by ASEAN Insurance Training and Research Institute entitled Comparative Analysis of Insurance Laws and Its Supervision in the ASEAN Member Countries from 13-14 August 2003 at Suite Stay Hotel, Kuala Lumpur. Presentation of VOT Projek Perundingan 291 by Head Researcher, Ms.Lekha Laxman entitled, “A Comparative Study on Current Insurance Laws in ASEAN as a Basis for the Harmonization of Insurance Laws in the ASEAN Region.
- Presentation by Head Researcher, Ms.Lekha Laxman at the Sixth Meeting of the ASEAN Insurance Regulators, 19-21 August 2003, Ha Noi, Vietnam of two studies (1) Insurance Laws and Regulations of Selected ASEAN Countries: A Preliminary Comparative Analysis; and (2) Motor Insurance Laws and Their Supervision in Selected ASEAN Countries based on VOT Projek Perundingan 291 by Head Researcher, Ms.Lekha Laxman entitled, “A Comparative Study on Current Insurance Laws in ASEAN as a Basis for the Harmonization of Insurance Laws in the ASEAN Region. See Minutes of Report of The Sixth Meeting of the ASEAN Insurance Regulators, AGENDA ITEM 4: Insurance Coperation, Sub Item 4.2.3 Study on Comparative Analysis on Current Insurance Laws and Its Supervision in the ASEAN Region.
- 19th Asia Pacific Social Work Conference, Social Work: A Catalyst for Development 4-6 September 2007, Hotel Equitorial Penang. Ms.Lekha Laxman presented on 5th September 2007 paper entitled, Humanizing and Improving the Judicial Decision Making in Malaysia: Exploring the Roles of Social Workers in the Courts of Malaysia.
- Attended BIOMALAYSIA 2009 conference and Exhibition di Kuala Lumpur on 17-19 November 2009.
- Presented paper entitled Issues of Concern on Biosafety for Developing Nations in the Pursuit of Business and Opportunities in Agricultural Biodiversity in the international conference entitled “BioJohor 2010, 2nd International Biotechnology and Biodiversity Conference” on 7th July 2010 held at Zon Regency Hotel, Johor Bahru, Johor.
- Paper coauthored with Professor Abdul Haseeb Ansari was presented at the Eighth International Conference on Emerging Concerns in International Public Law, New Delhi, India, 23-25 February 2012 entitled, A Review of the International Framework for Access and Benefit Sharing of Genetic Resources with Special Reference to the Nagoya Protocol.
Co-Authored research paper with Professor William G. Archambeault on ”An Evaluation of the Effects of Legal Changes on the Drug Problem in Malaysia" in a 1987 Annual Conference-- Criminology Today: Comparative and Interdisciplinary Research and Practice organized by the American Society of Criminology held at Montreal, Canada from November 11-14,1987.
Presented a paper entitled “The Curriculum and Course Development Project:International Criminal Justice Systems” at the American Criminal Justice Society (ACJS) Conference of the Academy of Criminal Justice Science in Orlando, Florida, USA in 1986. This course curriculum will be offered at various universities in US.
- Presented paper entitled "AIDS AS AN EMERGING SOCIAL PROBLEM AND ITS IMPACT ON THE EXISTING LEGAL SYSTEM" on 13 March 1994, a one day seminar organized by the Community Aids Service Penang on ‘Women Networking To Fight Aids’.
- Appointed for consultancy by the General Insurance Society of Malaysia (PIAM) and National Insurance Claims Society (NICS) to head an investigation on A Comprehensive Study of Fraud in Third Party Injury Claims in Malaysia (RM 34,000).
- ISO 9000: 2000 Certification of MII Academic and Examination (2002) Sponsored by Malaysian Institute of Insurance (RM 35 000).
Appointed to head Research by the National Insurance Claims Society for carrying out nation wide survey on “Fraud in Third Party Bodily Injury Claims in Malaysia” sponsored by the General Insurance Society of Malaysia and Bank Negara from December 2006-August 2007. Final Report submitted in August 2007.
Appointed by the Malaysia Insurance Institute (MII) to conduct Research Workshop for International Students in Diploma Programme on August 6, 2006 at MII, Jalan Semantan, Kuala Lumpur.
Appointed for a consultancy by the Malaysian Insurance Institute on October 2002 as Research Leader to carry out a research project for ASEAN Insurance Training and Research Institute (AITRI) entitled A Comparative Study on Current Insurance Laws in ASEAN as a Basis For the Harmonization of Insurance Laws in ASEAN Region”.
Paper submitted on January 2003 to the IP Office of Ministry of Trade and Consumer Affairs entitled A Proposal by MIPA for Streamlining the Registration of Trade Mark Agents in the capacity of the sub committee member of Ethics and Professionalism of Malaysian Intellectual Property Association.
Successful completion of consultancy project with the Malaysian Insurance Institute entitled “An Investigation into the Process and Integrity of External Examinations Conducted by the Malaysian Insurance Institute.” From April –June 2002.
Was involved in setting up the Legal Literacy Outreach Program, a joint effort between the Universiti Sains Malaysia, the Penang Bar Council and the Legal Aid Center. As part of this project, a community empowerment training program (community paralegal training) was undertaken by identified academic staff and lawyers. The pilot form of this course began on 7th December, 1996 and continues until March 1997.
Was part of the Law and Ethics Committee of the Malaysian Aids Council which held a workshop on 29 October 1994 entitled LAW, ETHICS AND HIV‑POLICY CONSIDERATIONS. The workshop was organized jointly by Malaysian Aids Council and the Bar Council Malaysia.
Award of Excellence 2013, Highly Commended Paper - Journal of International Trade Law & Policy, Volume 2 number 11, The interface between TRIPS and CBD: efforts towards harmonization by Lekha Laxman, Abdul Haseeb Ansari
Chevening Scholarship (1989-1990) for Master of Laws at University College London. United Kingdom.
Teaches/taught the following courses at the University Teknologi Malaysia:
Cyber Law, Intellectual Property Law, Occupational Health and Safety in Industries; Business Law; Principles of Marketing Law; Partnership & Company Law, Basic Principles of Malaysian Law; Commercial Law; Company Law; Principles of Malaysian Legal System.
Contract Law (MBA), Business Law & Ethics; Intellectual Property law
Coordinated and Taught a two day course from 8-9 August 2001 on Contract Law in conjunction with the Executive Development Programmes organized by the Center for International Business Programme, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia for Malaysian Shipyard Engineering Sdn Bhd.
Taught the following courses at the University Sains Malaysia
Taught a para legal course on “Alternative Dispute Resolution” for Research and Education Peace Unit, USM together with the Penang Legal Advisory Centre which launched a community based para legal education programme for NGO workers and para legals, in 1997.
Taught Employment Law, Law for Social Workers, Social Legislation, Law and Society for the School of Social Sciences, USM .
Taught Undang-Undang I for the School of Housing Building and Planning, USM
Taught Business Law and Company Law for the School of Management,USM.
Taught Law for Health & Safety of Workers for the School of Management, USM.
Taught General Principles of Malaysian Law for the Pusat Luar Kampus, USM.