Information provided serves as guidelines only and is subject to changes
Entry before 2014/2015
The programme is designed for graduates with some working experience who are interested in building a career in business and management irrespective of their previous undergraduate qualifications. It is also aimed for potential students who have recently graduated from their undergraduate studies and are looking for management education related to technology-based issues. The structure of the programme will equip students with knowledge and research skills in management and technology studies. The programme combines a challenging core of management disciplines with the opportunity to pursue areas of personal interest in technological issues or areas through research based studies
B. Program Structure
There are two components for the programme i.e. Taught Courses (21 credit Hours) and Research Dissertation (21 Credit Hours) as shown in Table 1:
Table 1: Programme Structure
|Core Courses||Elective Courses||Research|
|Corporate Financial Management (3)||
Faculty's elective (3)*
Human Resource Management (3)
University's elective (3)
Marketing Management (3)
Operation & Technology Management (3)
Organizational Development (3)
- Number in bracket ( ) refer to credits
- *The faculty has a full discretion in any elective course offering.
- **Total credits for dissertation is 21 credit
i) Taught Course Component
The taught course aims to give excellent education in the core principles of management and business plus an international perspective on the key drivers to business success. Theories, practices, current problems and issues related to management discipline will be discussed in depth.
For each course, continuous assessment will contribute 70% of the final mark while the final examination will contribute the other 30%. The minimum grade to pass the course is B-.
ii) Research Component
The focus of the research dissertation is to develop knowledge and capability in doing research related to management studies that incline to technological issues. Students will carry out a research and have to produce a dissertation with the length of about 120 pages.
Progress on the research must be reported to School of Graduate Studies at the end of every semester using the Progress Report Form (UTM (PS) -03/9) and it must be verified by the student's supervisor. Failing to submit the progress report, the student will be given "unsatisfactory" status
Submission of the proposal and final dissertation is subject to the approval of respective supervisors. Students will be assessed by panel of examiners and the result of the assessment can be either pass, pass with minor correction, pass with major correction or fail.
C. Mode and Duration of Studies
There are two modes of studies i.e. full time and part time and the duration of these modes are as follows:
- Full time: 3 semester (Minimum) to 6 semester (Maximum)
- Part time: 4 semester (Minimum) to 8 semester (Maximum)
D. Entry Requirement
The entry requirements of the programme are as follows:
- Bachelor degree with honours from Universiti Teknologi Malaysia or from any institutions of higher learning recognized by the University's Senate.
- International students whose English is not their native language will need to achieve one of the following English qualifications:
a. A minimum overall band score of 6.0 in IELTS test.
b. A minimum score of 550 in the TOEFL
- The above English qualifications are only valid if they are taken within two years before application to the programme is made.
- Students who do not meet the above English requirement are required to attend and pass the English Preparatory Course conducted by the university.
- For further information on admission requirement for international student, please click here:
E. Areas of Expertise
To find out more about areas of expertise available at our faculty, please follow the links below:
Department of Management