Master of Science (Human Resource Development) - Mixed-Mode

Information provided serves as guidelines only and is subject to changes

 Entry before 2014/2015

Subject Synopsis | OGSR Website | Academic Guide | Why choose UTM | How to Apply | Dateline | Tuition Fee

A. Introduction

Master of Human Resource Development (HRD) programme is designed for students who desire to inspire others, to promote learning within individuals, communities, organizations and globally. Participants strive to be reflective practitioners, to be self-directed learners and to build networks. Successful graduates will improve their capacity to provide leadership; manage resources; design and implement processes for organizational learning; evaluate and develop staff; liaise with government, organizations and stakeholders; plan, monitor and review policies and programs; implement change in organizations; and demonstrate awareness of the multiple perspectives and interconnectedness of learning, development work and life.

Students will address a substantial issue of significance by conducting valid, reliable and independent research, writing a dissertation reporting the findings and linking them to a theoretical framework and a review of the literature in the field of human resource development.


B. Program Structure

There are two components for the programme i.e. Taught Courses (21 credit Hours) and Research Dissertation (21 Credit Hours) as shown in Table 1:

Table 1: Programme Structure

Core CoursesElective CoursesResearch
Theory and Philosophy of HRD (3)
Faculty's elective (3)*
Dissertation**
Knowledge Management (3)
University's elective (3)
 
Organizational Development (3)
   
Human Resource Development Planning, Design and Evaluation (3)
   
Philosophy of Adult Learning (3)    

 

Note:

  1. Number in bracket ( ) refer to credits
  2. *The faculty has a full discretion in any elective course offering.
  3. **Total credits for dissertation is 21 credit

 

i) Taught Course Component

The taught course aims to give excellent education in the core principles of management and business plus an international perspective on the key drivers to business success. Theories, practices, current problems and issues related to human resource development discipline will be discussed in depth.

For each course, continuous assessment will contribute 60% of the final mark while the final examination will contribute the other 40%. The minimum grade to pass the course is B-.

ii) Research Component 

The focus of the research dissertation is to develop knowledge and capability in doing research related to the area of human resource development. Students will carry out a research and have to produce a dissertation with the length of about 100-150 pages.

Progress on the research must be reported to School of Graduate Studies at the end of every semester using the Progress Report Form (UTM (PS) -03/9) and it must be verified by the student's supervisor. Failing to submit the progress report, the student will be given "unsatisfactory" status

Submission of the proposal and final dissertation are subject to the approval of respective supervisors. Students will be assessed by the panel of examiners and the result of the assessment can be either pass, pass with minor correction, pass with major correction or fail.


C. Mode and Duration of Studies

There are two modes of studies i.e. full time and part time and the duration of these modes are as follows:

  1. Full time:  3 semester (Minimum) to 6 semester (Maximum)
  2. Part time: 4 semester (Minimum) to 8 semester (Maximum)


D. Entry Requirement
 

The entry requirements of the programme are as follows:

  1. Bachelor degree with honours from Universiti Teknologi Malaysia or from any institutions of higher learning recognized by the University's Senate.
  2. International students whose English is not their native language will need to achieve one of the following English qualifications:
    a. A minimum overall band score of 6.0 in IELTS test.
    b. A minimum score of 550 in the TOEFL

Note:

  1. The above English qualifications are only valid if they are taken within two years before application to the programme is made.
  2. Students who do not meet the above English requirement are required to attend and pass the English Preparatory Course conducted by the university.
  3. For further information on admission requirement for international student, please click here:
    http://www.utm.my/admission/postgraduate-programme-international-students/


E. Areas of Expertise

To find out more about areas of expertise available at our faculty, please follow the links below:
Department of Human Resource Development